Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, November 28, 2011

DIY-able

Probably one of the best parts about pregnancy is, for me, getting to decorate. Now, don't get me wrong, feeling the little kicks and seeing the little gummy bear in the ultrasound photos are amazing. But designing something that your little baby will spend a lot of time in, and getting to recognize as "mine" is just so much fun.

However...spending the money to make that perfect nursery a reality...Yeah. Not so much fun.

First, there's the furniture. I've already shared my perfect crib for Little Baby here. But I'm pretty much stuck there. I want to be able to save some room in L.B.'s tiny little nursery (at least, I'm almost positive it will be tiny. I don't know for sure yet.) by combining the dresser and changing table, like so:
via Domestic Adventure
I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to find a dresser suitable for this on Craigslist or Bookoo for a halfway decent price.

After spending upwards of $400 on furniture and a mattress, next comes the actual bedding and decor. Yikes. I have yet to find a full set of bedding (quilt, crib skirt, fitted sheet and bumpers) for under $100. I think Bear's was about $125, and that was without all of the accessories.

As for the mobile, I think I'm going to do a mix of yarn pom-poms and tissue paper poof balls. Different textures in the main colors would be fun.

I've been fabric hunting for the last week, and I think that, yes, I'm definitely going to be making the bedding and accessories for L.B.'s room. Erin from Domestic Adventure has a lot of nursery DIY ideas that I'm definitely going to be using as inspiration.

I found the main fabrics for L.B.'s nursery.

If L.B. turns out to be a girl:
via fabric.com
via fabric.com
If L.B. turns out to be a boy, though, I want to use these fabrics:
via Amy Butler
via fabric.com
The Amy Butler fabric can be seen in use here:
via Gussy Sews
Definitely looks cute with red. :]

Of course, whatever we're having, I'm going to be buying some solid color minky fabrics for a bunch of the projects, plus the crochet baby blanket I'm making is going to match for sure. 

I really can't wait to find out what we're having. I almost just wanna buy about 10 yards of each of the fabrics, because I honestly would love to use all of them in the decor. And I wouldn't have to wait at least ten weeks to start on the nursery. Either way, I think I will get the stripes. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I like the second combo best. For either boy or girl. Actually, I'm kind of in love with the second combo.

    ReplyDelete